Beach Weddings in Hawaii Beachwed


     Legal Marriage

     Legal Civil Union


APPLYING ONLINE: Save time and apply online! Hawaii Marriage or Civil Union License Application Fee is $60.00;   Online Processing Fee: $5.00. Pay by Credit Card.

The Hawaii Marriage Application is valid for 30 days from the date of issue. Put Kermit Rydell in the box for Minister (Officiate). We recommend you submit the data online a few days or weeks before your intended date at the applicable website below:

Marriage License*: Click HERE, or copy & paste the link:

Civil Union License*:

Then, you MUST personally appear before a licensing agent and show proper photo ID to get your license Worksheet. It may be pink, yellow or white. Bring it to the minister.

APPLYING IN PERSON:  Application Fee: $60.00. Pay in cash; ATM on site.

Applications can be submitted by the couple together in person within 30 days of your date at the State Health Department or to an authorized licensing agent (see the list below). To save time, fill it out beforehand and take it with you to the licensing agent. Even better, apply online as above. The Hawaii Marriage License Application cannot be accepted by your Marriage Performer. Marriage Licenses from other states cannot be used in Hawaii.

The Honolulu marriage license office is located in the State Health Department building, called "Kinau Hale", at 1250 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813.  Phone: (808) 586-4545. No appointment necessary. Hours of service: 8 am to 3:30 pm.


Bride and Groom MUST appear together in person before a Hawaii licensing and agent present a valid government photo ID. The application requires the name of a Minister (Marriage Performer) licensed in Hawaii.  Put Rev. Kermit Rydell on the form for "Name of Marriage Performer." Couples cannot make a copy of the license or file it on their own.


Remember to present your official Hawaii Marriage License to your Marriage Performer. The officiant is not obligated to perform the service without the license document (usually pink).

To obtain a License during non-business hours, or without going into town, call a recommended agent below to schedule an appointment. Callers: Please check for time zone differences!!! Hawaii does NOT observe daylight savings time. You will need to get to their location on your own.

Sherilynn Luning (808) 523-1880 (lives in downtown area; works days - Call between 5:30-7:00 p.m. HST)

Fusako Miyamoto (808) 455-1186 (lives in Pearl City; Call ONLY between 4:00-6:00 p.m. HST)

Please consider the above time when calling Hawaii. We do not use Daylight Savings Time.

* The license is good for 30 days from and including the date of its issuance, after which it becomes null and void. If you submit more than 30 days before your date, it will not be processed until within the 30-day window. The license can only be used in the State of Hawaii and is valid on all islands throughout the state.

Print the Official Hawaii Marriage License Application Form

Print the Official Hawaii Civil Union License Application Form

You'll need this FREE program to view the document: Get Adobe Reader logo

How do I get there? See Driving Directions & Bus Route.

Honolulu (O'ahu) Marriage License Office: Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Hint: Plan to be in the building by 3:30 PM or they may not serve you.

Vital Statistics Office: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 2:30 PM.

Closure due to Holidays in 2013: 8/16, 9/2, 11/11, 11/28, 12/25.

Neighbor Islands -  An appointment is necessary; walk-ins are discouraged. Call the local State Office:

  • Hawaii (Big Island) - (808) 974-6008 (Governor's Office: Hilo (808) 974-6262; Kailua-Kona (808) 327-4953)
  • Kauai - (808) 241-3498
  • Maui - (808) 984-8210. Agents: Lahaina: Sherilynn Takushi Office: (808) 661-7257; Honokowai: Debra Cohn (808) 661-6288; Kihei: Cynthia Wolfe (808) 875-8459; Kahului: Sherilynn Takushi Office: (808) 661-7257
  • Molokai - (808) 553-3663
  • Lanai - (808) 565-6411

When you get your Marriage License, you will be asked whether you want your names published in the local newspaper. To see the list, go to:, then enter Vital Statistics in the search box.

Once your minister has certified your license online and it is posted to the Vital Records Office, you can retrieve it online using the Locator ID Number that you received when completing your Marriage Application and you can print a Temporary Marriage Certificate. It is a valid state document.

  • A newly married couple receives one (1) certified copy of the marriage certificate at no extra charge, which will be sent to the couple by mail (60-120 days) after the marriage has been performed. If a certified copy of the marriage certificate is needed sooner than this, you can apply for one or more additional certified copies using the green form you received with the Marriage License. A certified copy of the marriage certificate cannot be generated until the license is posted into the Vital Statistics System.

  • State of Hawaii charges a $10 fee to issue a certified copy of the Certificate of Marriage prior to the normal period of 120 days. Once the license is entered into the system, you can pick-up the copy in person or have it mailed to you in 7-21 days. The State provides a green order form with the license. A certified copy is automatically sent after 120 days if you don't ask for the expedited copy. For residents of foreign countries, an Apostille is available for $1. This is a separate fee & cannot be combined with the expedite fee. If paying by Money Order, you'll need 2: One for the copy fee & one for the Apostille.

  • Our fee to process your completed Marriage License same day online: $10

Information posted here is believed to be up-to-date, however, it is subject to change without notice by the State of Hawaii. Check their website link above for the latest information.