Getting Legally Married In Hawaii
HAWAII LICENSING REQUIREMENTS and APPLICATION
APPLYING ONLINE (Recommended)
- Save time and apply online! Application Fee is $60;
- Online Processing Fee: $5. Pay by Credit Card;
- Enter “Name of Marriage Performer” if you have it;
- The Application is kept in the system by the state for up to 1 year;
- After applying online, you will receive a confirmation email showing your Locator ID Number and a list of authorized licensing agents;
- Prior to your wedding event, you MUST both personally appear before a licensing agent, provide your locator ID number, show a valid photo ID and take an oath to get your Marriage License Worksheet, which you will bring to your Marriage Performer;
- The Marriage License Worksheet is valid for 30 days & can be used anywhere in Hawaii;
- Marriage Licenses from other US states or foreign countries cannot be used in Hawaii.
GETTING YOUR LICENSE WORKSHEET ON OAHU
- The couple MUST appear together in person before a Hawaii licensing and agent and have a valid government-issued photo ID;
- If you are applying in person, pay $60 in cash. There is an ATM on site;
- The Honolulu marriage license office is located in the State Health Department building, called “Kinau Hale“, at 1250 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813. Phone: (808) 586-4545. No appointment necessary. Hours of service: 8 am to 3:45 PM. Closed on Federal & State Holidays;
- Hint: Plan to be in the building by 3:30 PM or they may not serve you;
- Neighbor island agent offices are listed below.
- Couples cannot make a copy of the license or file it on their own;
- How do I get there? See Driving Directions & Bus Route.
BY APPOINTMENT: AFTER HOURS, HOLIDAY & WEEKEND LICENSING ON OAHU
- To obtain a License on Oahu during non-business hours, or without going into town, call a recommended agent below or one listed on your receipt to schedule an appointment;
- Please check for time zone differences!!! Hawaii does NOT observe daylight savings time.
- Sherilynn Luning (808) 523-1880; Honolulu; works days at the Health Dept. – Call between 5:00-7:00 p.m. HST). Cell phone: (808) 679-1326.
- Four Seasons Hotel Office (808) 679-3271 and (808) 679-3270; call to make an appointment.
BRING YOUR LICENSE WORKSHEET – Remember to bring your official Hawaii Marriage License Worksheet to your Marriage Performer. Regardless which island your service is on, the Officiant/Minister is not obligated to perform the service without you presenting a valid Hawaii Marriage License Worksheet. APPLYING IN PERSON (Not recommended as it will delay you >20 min.)
- Application Forms are also available at the Health Department on Oahu;
- You MUST personally appear before a licensing agent and show photo ID to get your Marriage License Worksheet, which you will bring to your minister (this may take 20-30 minutes if you use the printed form instead of online form);
- The Hawaii Marriage License Application form cannot be accepted by your Marriage Performer;
- You MUST present the Marriage License Worksheet to your Marriage Performer;
- Marriage Licenses from other states/countries cannot be used in Hawaii.
LICENSE WORKSHEET PROCESSING and FEES Your minister will certify and file your license online and once it is posted to Vital Records (up to 48 business hours), you can retrieve a Temporary Marriage Certificate online using the Locator ID Number that you received after completing your Marriage Application. Print or save a copy for your use. It’s good for 90 days.
- A newly married couple receives one (1) certified copy of the marriage certificate at no extra charge, which will be sent to the couple by mail (2-4 weeks) after the marriage has been recorded. If a certified copy of the marriage certificate is needed sooner than this, you can apply online for one or more additional certified copies. A certified copy of the marriage certificate cannot be generated until the license is recorded into the Vital Statistics System.
- State of Hawaii charges a $10 fee to issue a certified copy of the Certificate of Marriage prior to the normal period. Once the license is entered into the system, you can pick-up the copy in person or have it mailed to you in 7-21 days. The State may provide an order form with the license.
- For residents of foreign countries that require it, an Apostille is available for $1. This is a separate fee & cannot be combined with the expedite fee. If paying by Money Order, you’ll need 2: One for the copy fee & one for the Apostille.
- Our fee to expedite processing/filing of your completed Marriage License same-day online on Oahu is $10.
- Details above subject to change without notice.