Getting Legally Married In Hawaii
HAWAII LICENSING REQUIREMENTS and APPLICATION
We highly recommend that you complete the Marriage license application on-line.
- Application Fee is $60 + $5 online processing fee. Pay by Credit Card.
- Enter “Name of Marriage Performer” if you have it, if not you can just leave it blank. We will do it when we file for you.
- After applying online, you will receive a confirmation email showing your Locator ID Number and a list of authorized licensing agents.
- Prior to your wedding event, you MUST both personally appear before a licensing agent to confirm your information and verify your identification. Any official state I.D. will suffice.
- The Honolulu marriage license office is located in the State Health Department building at 1250 Punchbowl Street, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813. Phone: (808) 586-4545.
- No appointment necessary. Hours of service: 8 am to 3:45 PM. Closed on Federal & State Holidays.
- Plan to be in the building by 3:00 PM or they may not serve you;
- You will be issued a finalized marriage license application which you will bring to the ceremony and give to your officiant who will file your marriage on-line.
- The Marriage License Worksheet is valid for 30 days after issue & can be used anywhere in Hawaii;
- Marriage Licenses from other states or foreign countries cannot be used in Hawaii.
- CLICK HERE FOR APPLICATION PAGE
BY APPOINTMENT: AFTER HOURS, HOLIDAY & WEEKEND LICENSING ON OAHU
- To obtain a License on Oahu during non-business hours, or without going into town, call a recommended agent below or one listed on your receipt to schedule an appointment;
- Please check for time zone differences!!! Hawaii does NOT observe daylight savings time.
- Sherilynn Luning (808) 523-1880; Honolulu; works days at the Health Dept. – Call between 5:00-7:00 p.m. HST). Cell phone: (808) 679-1326.
- Four Seasons Hotel Office (808) 679-3271 and (808) 679-3270; call to make an appointment.
BRING YOUR LICENSE WORKSHEET – Remember to bring your official Hawaii Marriage License Worksheet to your Marriage Performer. Regardless which island your service is on, the Officiant/Minister is not obligated to perform the service without you presenting a valid Hawaii Marriage License Worksheet.
Your minister will certify and file your license online and once it is posted to Vital Records (up to 48 business hours), you can retrieve a Temporary Marriage Certificate online using the Locator ID Number that you received after completing your Marriage Application. Print or save a copy for your use. It’s good for 90 days.
- A newly married couple receives one (1) certified copy of the marriage certificate at no extra charge, which will be sent to the couple by mail (2-4 weeks) after the marriage has been recorded. If a certified copy of the marriage certificate is needed sooner than this, you can apply online for one or more additional certified copies. A certified copy of the marriage certificate cannot be generated until the license is recorded into the Vital Statistics System.
- State of Hawaii charges a $10 fee to expedite a certified copy of the Certificate of Marriage. Once the license is entered into the system, you can pick-up the copy in person or have it mailed to you in 7-21 days. The State may provide an order form with the license.
- For residents of foreign countries that require it, an Apostille is available for $1. This is a separate fee & cannot be combined with the expedition fee. If paying by Money Order, you’ll need 2: One for the copy fee & one for the Apostille.
Details above subject to change without notice.